Has Implementing a PMO Ever Crossed Your Mind?
When organizations are constantly challenged by the consistent application of defined project management processes, technologies, resource planning and other business demands, a well-managed PCE (Project Centre of Excellence) can address all these challenges in order to ensure successful project delivery. We work with clients when they need to deploy a new PCE or expand an existing one. Our goal is to provide effective services for optimizing and enhancing any given PCE so it meets the evolving challenges that come with functions and services set out by your organization.
It is best to not make any decisions on your PMO (Project Management Office) until you understand the following:
- Who wants a PMO?
- Why do you need a PMO?
- Where does a PMO fit into your company?
- When do you need a PMO?
- What do you want the PMO to do?
- Who will manage the PMO?
- Who will the PMO report to?
- Will the PMO be supportive?
- Will the PMO be controlling?
- Will the PMO be directing?
In order to find out whether a PMO supports the strategic intent of your business, you should ask yourself:
Does a PMO support the strategic intent of your clients (internal/external)?
A couple of factors to take into account are:
- Who are the stakeholders?
- If you have negative stakeholders, stop what you are doing and ask, “Why?”.
- If you have neutral stakeholders, stop what you are doing and ask, “Why?”.
- Who are the positive stakeholders, stop and ask, “Why?”.
- Who owns the PMO business case?
- Who is the sponsor?
- Who is the internal/external client?
Regarding deliverables, ask yourself:
What are the tangible deliverables that the PMO must deliver?
- Short Term
- Medium Term
- Long Term
Based on the business drivers, the selection of the PMO type can span across:
- EPMO – Enterprise Project Management Office
- PMO – Project Management Office
- SPO – Strategic Project Office
- TMO – Transformation Management Office
- LPO – Liquid Project Office
- OPSO – Operational Project Support Office
- PSO – Project Support Office
Your final question, and possibly the most important one, would be:
Who will be able to assist us?
We know what it’s like to make the wrong decisions when it comes to pre-construction education. Let’s consult before you jump into anything and make a mistake that will result in your embarrassment! We are not consultants, we’re partners – contact us for a free consultation over our chat service. It’ll be well worth your time.
Lead by a diverse and dynamic team, we have managed over US$ 47 Billion Project Centres of Excellence across the world in the following industries:
- Power Utilities
- Information Technology
- Logistics and Transportation
- EPCM and EPC